Buskirk’s Covered Bridge
Buskirk’s Bridge is a one-lane covered bridge, 14-panel, patented, Howe-truss structure (timber diagonals with vertical iron rods) with a total length of about 160 feet. The bridge connects Washington and Rensselaer Counties. It was built in 1850 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Reinforcement and replacement work was done over the years. Despite work, deterioration and damage continued. The bridge was closed to traffic because of a combination of cracks, deterioration, and fire damage. We were retained to perform a preliminary structural assessment. We developed recommendations and preliminary costs for rehabilitation and repairs.