Decker School of Nursing
Johnson City, NY
Structural Engineering, Restoration, Repair & Renovation
Ryan Biggs | Clark Davis provided the structural engineering and facade restoration design services for renovations and additions to the Decker School of Nursing at Binghamton University’s Health Sciences Campus. The existing building (called the Endicott Johnson (EJ) Pioneer Annex) was built in 1916 and is on both the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.
This existing six-story, 93,000-square-foot, concrete-frame building had served as an industrial manufacturing facility for most of its life and was built by the EJ Corporation during the expansion era in the early 1900s. The structural concrete was showing signs of weather-related deterioration primarily at the exterior of the building. The exterior features of the concrete frame have been restored based on the original EJ architectural aesthetic. A 5,000-square-foot, two-story dining services addition was constructed at the south side of the existing building.
A 10,000-square-foot, one-story classroom and mechanical services addition was constructed at the east side of the existing building. This east addition features an eight-story, glass-clad stair and elevator tower that provides new access to each floor of the existing building and the roof. A welcoming rotunda entrance is also provided as part of the east addition.
The project incorporates renovations and additions to provide a total of approximately 110,000 square feet of classroom, clinical laboratory, simulation, and research space. The facility contains the Division of Advising and Academic Excellence, food court, lounge, information commons, library, help desk, group study rooms, lactation rooms, offices, and a multi-purpose room. The Innovative Simulation and Practice Center occupies the second floor.
The center has three flexible, hospital-based simulation rooms including a nursing station, home care suite, life skills room, eight instruction rooms, and nursing skills teaching lab. The construction cost was nearly $50 million.